Archaeological Museum of Chalkida

Archaeological Museum of Chalkida

The Archaeological Museum of Chalkida is housed in a building from the beginning of the 20th century. and collects finds from all over Evia. The base of the neoclassical building has carved masonry according to the polygonal system, while its corners are also reinforced with carved masonry. A pediment opens above the main entrance of the building and is tiled. The building has a large courtyard and three rooms where the exhibits are presented. The building belongs to the Greek state and was designed to house the Euboean antiquities.

The exhibits of the Museum are placed chronologically from the Paleolithic to the Late Roman Era and come from excavations in Evia. The Museum's exhibition features collections with findings from the settlement and cemetery of Manika (2800 - 1900 BC), Mycenaean pottery and figurines, Oikonomou's collection of Euboean, Boeotian pottery and coroplastry, a collection of classical and Hellenistic coins from Chalkida, Eretria and Karystos, Roman votive sculptures from Chalkida and Edipsos, tombstones from Chalkida, the new Lampsako and honorary resolutions. The courtyard of the Museum contains resolutions, tombstones and Roman sculptures. Among the exhibits, a seated female statue from the 4th c. BC, marble funerary stele depicting a lion and a dog (second quarter of the 4th century BC), votive stele depicting Pluto and Dionysus (middle of the 4th century BC), statue of Antinous (2nd century AD), a headless statue of Apollo or Dionysus (a Roman copy), a female statue from the Hellenistic Period and two heads of Kuros from the Archaic Period.

The visitor begins his tour of the Museum from the courtyard, where he encounters funerary monuments. In one stoa (Stoa A) resolutions, votive and competitive inscriptions are displayed. On his way to the three halls, a semi-circular platform with honorary resolutions meets him. The central courtyard of the Museum contains architectural elements from the city of Chalkida. The next stop before entering the halls is in Gallery B, where he can see inscriptions and statues from the Roman Era. Among these sculptures, a statue of Demeter or Cybele stands out, which dates back to the 4th century. e.g. and three busts of horses from the Late Classical Period.

In the three rooms of the Museum, the exhibits of the Permanent Exhibition have been arranged chronologically, so that the visitor can get an overall picture of ancient Evia. In the first room are presented Palaeolithic tools and Neolithic pottery from various regions of Evia, pottery from Manika (2800 - 1900 BC) and from Aliveri (1900 - 1650 BC), protogeometric and geometric pottery from Chalkida ( 1050 - 700 BC), as well as objects of micro-artwork as well as Cycladic vases and imitations of such from Euboean workshops predispose the visitor to early art in Euboea.

In the second room, the visitor comes face to face with micro-artwork, corroplasty, plastic and ceramics from the Archaic to the Roman Era. Two heads of quorums (mid 6th century BC), trunks of two quorums from the area of ​​Chalkida and Eretria (late 6th century BC), three female statues dedicated to Artemis (4th century BC) stand out .X.), as well as Classical Era tombstones and a votive relief with Pluto and Dionysus (4th century BC)

The third room is dedicated exclusively to large plastic. Statues of Dionysus or Apollo (1st century BC), Polydeukion, student of Herod of Atticus (2nd century AD), a stele with a sacrifice from Larymna in Boeotia and another with a representation of Dionysus, but also a bronze tripod dedicated to Apollo give another dimension to the Museum and provide important evidence for the evolution of art in Evia, an island that played a special role in the political and historical events of the Greek area. The Archaeological Museum of Chalkida is supervised by the 11th Prehistoric and Classical Ephorate.